Saturday, October 9, 2010

Days leading up to Second treatment...

So I called my doctor and talked to her about my side effects that I experienced since the last Hizentra treatment.

She doesn't want to give me steroids because for the last year I've had IV Hydrocortisone every 3 weeks during my IVIG, and I recently had a 12-day course of prednisone. She said that it will have long-term negative effects on me and wants me to adapt and find other ways to deal with the side-effects. On top of that, I had some stomach bleeding a few months ago, and she's worried that the steroids could be a factor there. There has been some discussion in my support group about whether or not CVID patients should even have steroids due to the fact that the suppress the immune system even more than ours are already suppressed, so I'm not going to make an issue of it.

I'm not supposed to take Aleve, Ibuprofen, or Aspirin because of my stomach issues, but then she doesn't want me taking Tylenol either because it has a drug interaction with another drug that I take.

I felt much better on Wednesday morning...I still felt the threat of a headache and flu-like/sinus infection type symptoms, but I'd started using my neti-pot, and that has helped a lot. I plan to post the recipe that I use here. It seems to work better for me than oral antibiotics at getting rid of sinus infections sometimes. I found the recipe online.

Thursday...
Thursday morning I woke up feeling decent. No raging headache, and sinus symptoms pretty much under control. I got up and showered and began working. I started hydrating with water, smart water, and gatorade right away. After lunch I got very nauseous, but the symptoms went away after awhile .I thought maybe I'd been drinking too much water too fast, so I slowed way down. Then about 5:30 in the evening I got so nauseous again that I vomited violently and felt close to having a seizure. I took some Zofran (prescription sublingual nausea medication) and some clonazepam (prevents seizures). I was so weak and sick from the vomiting that I had to get directly in bed. My mom said I was very pale and neither she nor my boyfriend could find my pulse. I had to take Zofran again that night, and also took some acidophilus. I don't know what made me sick...maybe it was the CVID?...food poisoning?...delayed Hizentra reaction? Who knows...at least I didn't have any seizures and didn't have to go to the hospital either. I decided that unless I ended up in the hospital I would go ahead with my nurse appointment for Hizentra the next morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment