Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fourth Day After Hizentra

I woke up this morning and my headache had returned with a vengeance. It was nearly as bad as when I woke up Saturday morning, but not quite as intense. I really regret not hydrating...I think I learned my lesson!

I called Accredo's 24-hr helpline, and they put me through to the pharmacist at my local branch. The pharmacist suggested that I talk to my doctor and:
  1. Take Tylenol in addition to the Benadryl
  2. Use the skin protection patches to see if that helps
  3. Call my doctor to find out whether she can give me a Rx for prednisone that I can just take during the infusion. She said I need to tell the Dr about my reaction including the flu-like symptoms.
  4. I already take Rx allergy meds, which was her other suggestion.
Immediately after hanging up with the pharmacist the phone rang again, this time it was my nurse. I thought she was calling because of my call to the pharmacist, since they're out of the same office, but it was just a coincidence. She was calling to make arrangements to see me on Friday for my next infusion. We talked about my side-effects and she mentioned that shorter needles might help me. I guess if the needles go into the muscle, they can cause more of a reaction and trigger some of the inflammation that I experienced. She said she will talk to the team about what I experienced, and see what they can do to help me.

Later...
My nurse called me to say that she talked with the team at Accredo, and they decided that it would be best to slow my infusion down even more. I'm absolutely in favor of that since infusion speed was a huge factor in how I felt after my IV infusions. She also reiterated that as my body adapts to the treatments I should experience fewer side effects. She said that they're concerned that if they use shorter needles there's a potential that they might miss the fat layer and pump between layers of my skin--which would be a problem, so they're going to stick with the current needle size. I haven't yet received the new tubing, but I hope that I will get everything tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

I also saw the chiropractor today to get help fighting the headache. He found a lot of really tight muscles in my back, neck and head that were contributing to the intensity of the headache. He worked them over and told me to rest. He also said the heat on my neck and shoulders was better than ice, and would help with the headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment