Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ninth Gammagard S/D Infusion


I had my infusion yesterday at my boyfriend's house. I wanted to do it early so that I would be able to have a glass of champagne on New Year's Eve. I found out the rough way that if I have alcohol within a day of my infusion that it will make me feel truly awful due to the dehydration that it causes.

I noticed that I was feeling a bit dizzy and anxious when we were getting ready to do the infusion, so I asked him if he felt comfortable doing the infusion if I were a bit dopey on Benadryl. I had been feeling sick and tired for the previous 2 days, and, as usual, there are too many variables to really know what was going on. I may be fighting off an illness. I noticed that I never had the anxiety issues with the Benadryl in my system and that it would calm me. I only took one so that I would still be able to coach him as needed. He was wonderful, and did all of the needles for me. Some of the needles hurt due to the Gammagard having gotten into them, but it didn't phase me. I took the 2nd Benadryl after the infusion had started and took all the regular premeds at the appropriate times. I had to take my rescue inhaler periodically during the infusion, and more Tylenol (as I had a headache that wouldn't go away, but didn't take more Benadryl. The infusion took about 7.5 hours with me closely monitoring the pump to change the syringes.

benadryl, diphenhydramine
Benadryl (AKA Diphenhydramine)
Tylenol
This was the first time I used the 6mm needles in my thighs, and at first I was excited because it seemed to be so much more comfortable than the 9mm needles. I stayed awake throughout the infusion and didn't put any serious pressure on any of the needles, but about halfway through my infusion one of the sites started stinging severely. I asked my boyfriend to look at it and he noticed that the Tegaderm was lifting around the needle, and when I got to where I could sit down and look at it in good light I saw that the site was actually leaking. I tried putting a pressure bandage over the needle to stop the leaking, and it seemed to work at first, but then it started up again. I had to clamp that needle off and finish the infusion in 4 sites.

Today the sites still look white and swollen (which is unusual for my thighs), and I've come to the conclusion that I need to go back to the 9mm needles. I think that the extra stinging is due to the fact that the Gammagard wasn't getting into the fat layer but was going in between layers of my skin. With the 9mm needles I would have leaking after an infusion, but never had leaking during an infusion. I'm glad that Accredo let me try the 6mm needles without taking the 9mm needles off of my order.

I took my second Prednisone this morning and have had some irritability and gloomy thoughts today, but I seem to be breathing well and feeling relatively well. I still don't know whether I'm getting sick or not. I sincerely hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment