Thursday, December 23, 2010

Eighth Gammagard S/D Infusion


I had my infusion today, and overall it went pretty smoothly. I tried new areas and shorter needles today, and 1 site leaked during the infusion. I also vomited again before starting the infusion and I'm starting to think that's due to a combination of migraine with mild nausea, PMS and a reaction to the first needle hurting and maybe a bit of anxiety just to make things fun. Both times that I vomited were about 5 minutes or less after having the first needle was put in and it hurting. I don't know why that would be a factor, I mean, I don't faint or throw up when I get my blood drawn or IVs, so why should this be different? I also don't vomit every time a needle hurts. It doesn't make sense that it's just anxiety, but perhaps a combination of all of the above just makes a bad mix. I've also started hydrating with 50% Gatorade and 50% smart water in case the Gatorade has been contributing to my nausea.
I had to put the needles in a place other than my thighs today because I have a rash all over them from last Friday's infusion. This time I chose the love-handle area and my lower back. I couldn't see to put the needles in so my mom had to do most of them. I took a nap and laid on some of the needles (they didn't hurt since they're the 6mm ones) and the one with the most pressure leaked onto my sheets. I have what looks like a water stain on my sheets and I hope it will wash out. I finally just clamped off that one site for most of the infusion since it wouldn't stop leaking. None of the other sites leaked. Although none of the needles were in my stomach area, my belly still bloated from the infusion. The needle sites aren't painful now, but I'll have to see how they are tomorrow. I hope the rash on my legs goes away soon because I really prefer my thighs....I wonder how the calves would be?
I'm doing pretty well. My pharmacist suggested that I take 20 mg of prednisone when I first eat tomorrow rather than tonight, so that might prevent the back-lash reaction that I seem to get the day after my infusion. I'm going to give that a shot...she also said I could try 10 tomorrow and 10 the next day...we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Update...
Thursday, 12/30/10
I didn't have any bad reactions the next day, and I've come to the conclusion that the pharmacist was right about the Prednisone causing a backlash reaction. The Prednisone affects my mood and makes me irritable, but it's better than migraines, breathing trouble, and rashes. I felt pretty good during the week and was able to have a nice Christmas. I think we are finally on the right track! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment