Saturday, December 18, 2010

7th Gammagard Infusion...An Odd...One


So I had my 7th infusion today and something very odd happened. After the needles had been in for about an hour I noticed blood under the adhesive. It wasn't a lot, but enough to soak all the way out and stain my clothes after about 10 minutes. I called my nurse to find out what to do as I'd never encountered that before. I did check the sites before starting the infusion so I knew that it wasn't in a vein.
My nurse told me to clamp off the tube and apply pressure to the site (which freaked me out a bit since that seems that it would mean pushing the needle in even further). I applied pressure directly next to the needle and after about another 20 minutes or so I could tell that the blood was starting to coagulate and look darker, I'm not sure when the bleeding actually stopped though. After about 30 minutes I unclamped the tube again and let it run.
During the infusion I had more shortness of breath and tight-chested feeling than I did the previous time. I took my inhaler a lot, and ended up getting the jitters. This time I'd taken 20mg of Prednisone and 2 extra strength Tylenol ahead of time, but forgot to take the 50mg of Benadryl until the infusion had been going for at least 30 minutes. I forgot to take my inhaler for about an hour.

This infusion only took 6.5 hours because I made a point of paying attention to the syringe-change time. I wish I'd noted the correct time in my log so I'd know exactly how long it took, but I was very tired today (I've had trouble sleeping since Monday night), and I just absentmindedly jotted down 4:00 PM, but it may have been as late as 4:15.


I took another 2 Tylenol about 3.5 hours into the infusion, as I felt a headache trying to start. I took another 2 Benadryl at about 11:30 (after the infusion), and I'd taken the 2nd prednisone around 9:00. The prednisone is kind of touchy, as I need to take it with food, but I'm supposed to take it 1 hour before and one hour after. Instead I take it with lunch (or whatever meal I have as I'm getting things set up), then if dinner seems too close to the start time, I have a good-sized snack later. Tonight I had 2 snacks: a bowl of uncooked oatmeal with chocolate milk (yummy...you should try it), and some leftover spaghetti about 3 hours later. It's abnormal for me to get that hungry that soon after eating something substantial, so I think the prednisone is increasing my appetite. 

The infusion ended at about 10:30 PM, and it's now nearly 3:30 AM. I'm tired and I hope that I'll be able to sleep through the night. That's doubtful though since I drank over 100 Oz of fluids today and will probably wake up for the bathroom a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment