Sunday, March 7, 2010

Second IVIG Treatment and How it Impacted Me Over the Next Week

I had my 2nd IVIG treatment on Friday, 3/5. We started at 9:30 AM, and I was finished by 2:30 PM. The nurse said the fastest speed she took me up to was 150. I had a sinus infection as well, so on top of the premeds I was also on prednisone and antibiotics (Clarithromycin?). The premedication that I had was: 
600mg of Ibuprofen 1 hr in advance,
0.5mg Clonazapam ~30 min in advance, 
25mg Benadryl by IV,
100mg of Hydrocortisone injection
The treatment went smoothly. I slept for about the first 3 hours, and then woke up and ate lunch. I only needed 1 bathroom trip despite all the efforts I'd made to hydrate myself. Mom and I watched a movie, and before the movie was over, the treatment was finished.
We went home and watched the rest of the movie, then I slept for another few hours. 
Yesterday (1st day after treatment), I was very weak and shaky. I slept in in the morning, but was overwhelmingly hungry so I got up for breakfast. All day I felt so weak that it felt like lying down took too much effort. Nevertheless, I stayed up all day. I read in bed, and did sudoku puzzles, then I took a bath since I didn't think I was strong enough to stand up in the shower. We went out for awhile then. I'd intended to stay home and rest more, but my boyfriend suggested we get some food while we were out, and that thought was very appealing. I mostly just rested in the car while he did his errands, but I went into 1 store with him (wearing a mask), so that I could pick out some slippers to wear at his house. I got in bed when we got home and read some more, then when I was ready to sleep I realized I was feeling so shaky that I probably wouldn't sleep well, so I took a Clonazepam. I slept well and woke up hungry after about 10 hrs of sleep.
I feel better today, not strong yet, but a lot better, and I hope that by tomorrow I'll feel great! 
My main post-treatment effects have been: exhaustion, hunger, weakness, feeling overly-emotional, shakiness, fuzzy-headed feeling. It's hard to say how much of what is caused by the sinus infection, sinus infection meds, treatment, or premeds. I know that last time I had the hunger also. It seems to hit me for days afterwards, and I get ravenous. I wonder whether that's due to the antibodies making my body more able to absorb nutrients from food?


Still Exhausted a Week Later...

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and
    tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube
    sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

    ReplyDelete