Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tenth IVIG Treatment

Today I had my 10th, and possibly final infusion. I say possibly final because my doctor is in the final stages of getting me switched over to Hizentra Sub-Q! I'm so excited!
The infusion went really well despite the fact that I have either pneumonia or bronchitis right now and am on another round of Levaquin for it! Anyway, I wanted to avoid the battles that we endured last time, and I realized that one thing I'd done which contributed to all of the conflict last time was that I had them keep it at 25 for a whole hour. I was pretty dopey from the premeds and I so when the nurse asked me if I wanted to stay at 25 for an hour I thought I had enough time left in the day to get my whole treatment in easily, so I said "sure, why not?". Because of that mistake it ended up being a very stressful infusion that time.
So this time I went prepared. I told my mom ahead of time what speeds I wanted and how frequently I wanted the transitions. I then wrote them down for her to show the nurse. Because I did that, there was no conflict, and I came up with an arrangement that's slow enough to take care of me without causing them to freak out. I had them start at 25 for 30 minutes, then transitioned to 50 for 2 hours, after 2 hours I had them go up to 75, and keep it there til I finished. I walked into the office at 8:30 AM, and left at 4:00, so I think we did well all-in-all.
Tonight after getting home and having my post-infusion cupcake reward, I took a benadryl, and some medication for my migraine that I've had since yesterday. The migraine is slightly improved, but is still a "back-burner" headache...meaning, it's still there, but I can deal with it.
I hope that I don't feel bad after this one, and I hope that the Hizentra is a good thing for me to use. I have heard a lot of success stories from those who have switched, and it could make my life so much better if that turns out to be the case for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment