Saturday, September 21, 2013

Negative Impacts of Stress on the Immune System

This morning I was reading an article from Science Daily about how a person's current state of mind can affect their genetic makeup, and as I was reading it I came across a few paragraphs on how stress impacts the immune system.
"Previous studies had found that circulating immune cells show a systematic shift in baseline gene-expression profiles during extended periods of stress, threat or uncertainty. Known as conserved transcriptional response to adversity, or CTRA, this shift is characterized by an increased expression of genes involved in inflammation and a decreased expression of genes involved in antiviral responses.This response, Cole noted, likely evolved to help the immune system counter the changing patterns of microbial threat that were ancestrally associated with changing socio-environmental conditions; these threats included bacterial infection from wounds caused by social conflict and an increased risk of viral infection associated with social contact."But in contemporary society and our very different environment, chronic activation by social or symbolic threats can promote inflammation and cause cardiovascular, neurodegenerative and other diseases and can impair resistance to viral infections," said Cole, the senior author of the research."
From article: Be Happy: Your Genes May Thank You for It in Science Daily
Many times I have wondered whether a very stressful period of my life could have a negative impact on my immune system. I don't know as I would go so far as to say that it could cause CVID, but I have been under extreme levels of stress and have seen my body break down under the pressure. Recently I was laid off from my job, my serious relationship ended, and my best friend moved out of state, all within 3 months of each other. I have seen a direct impact on my health with multiple respiratory infections and a bout of shingles. I try to counter the effects of stress by using self-hypnosis recordings and focusing on the positives of my life. Other things like a hot bath with relaxing music, a positive book that encourages me to look at all I have to be grateful for, and pampering myself all seem to help. I believe these things all help to offset the negative impacts of stress.

1 comment: